Same picture? Well…yes. But the idea’s the same. After adding the juice to the flour, I was to seal it in an airtight container and within 24 hours, this mess was supposed to double in size. The crude arrow on tape method was supposed to mark how far it has risen.
Well, I ran out of lids for this particular container, and had to resort to plastic wrap and wishful thinking. The next morning, 12+ hours later, no movement whatsoever. It was still a tub full of kindergarten paste goop.
Although nowhere near catastrophic, I can’t help but be reminded about my first foray in the dough making world. I’ve worked in many restaurants in my life, including a few pizzerias. Those places had their own method on how dough should be made, but they all resulted in the same thing. As a result, I came away with taking a little from column A, and a little from column B. But I didn’t apply this knowledge in my inaugural run. Instead, I relied on instruction from a cook book. Mistake. I should have gone my own way as soon as I noticed a step or two was missing from the directions I was following. THAT was a disaster: The dough was stiff, tasteless, flimsy and I think caught fire in the oven…not unlike the Hindenburg…oh the humanity!
Second attempt, I said screw it. I’m going my own way. Cookbooks be damned, I have enough experience to do this. The result was slightly better. This one didn’t catch fire, at least. At this rate, it took me an entire summer to get to where I needed to be, and even then, I wasn’t anywhere close to where I am now, which is “pretty good”. I think this latest endeavor will more than likely head down the same route.
Tonight, we shall see how this goes. The new culture I made is now in a real airtight container and has been sitting out on the counter top since last night. I’m fairly confident that it’ll be better this time around.